Seminar in Public Economics 1/2
Seminar Public Economics 1/2
Master, 5 ECTS
Course Type: Seminar
Content: Current Topics in Public Economics
Term: Summer Semester (Public Economics 1) and Winter Semester (Public Economics 2)
Lead Contacts: Prof. Büttner, Prof. Necker, and Prof. Wrede
Enrollment Procedure: Students who would like to participate in the seminar Public Economics 1 during the Summer Semester 2023 should submit the Participation Form SS 2023 via email to email@example.com by February 15, 2023.
Course Description and List of Topics (Summer Semester 2023):
During the seminar, participants will discuss a broad range of topics. A first set of topics addresses questions related to Public Economics (Chair of Prof. Büttner). A second set relates to Behavioral Public Economics and Political Economy (Chair of Prof. Necker). The third set relates to Public Economics and Spatial Economics (Chair of Prof. Wrede).
More details, including references and the research questions covered in the respective literature, can be found at: Seminar Public Economics 1 Course Description SS 2023.
The seminar has two consecutive parts:
In the first part, students write a thesis (15 pages) under the guidance of their advisor. In an introductory session, students learn about the principles of scientific work and the scope of analysis that is expected. The thesis elaborates on the literature (see the list of topics for the main article(s) to be covered). Students are expected to search for additional literature and then work independently on their topic. Advisors provide close guidance during this process. The deadline to hand in the thesis is June 09, 2023.
The second part consists of a two-day seminar (June 29-30, 2023) of students’ presentations. Before preparing their presentations, supervisors will provide students with detailed feedback on their thesis. During the seminar students present their thesis. Each presenter has 25 minutes for the presentation, followed by 25 minutes of discussion.
Organizational details and grading:
- The seminar is jointly organized by the chairs of Prof. Büttner, Prof. Necker, and Prof. Wrede.
- Students who want to participate in Summer Semester 2023 should express their interest by submitting the Participation Form SS 2023 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2023.
- Please indicate your preferred topics. Preference will be given to the earliest submissions.
- After being assigned to a specific topic, students can repeal their participation within a week’s time. After that deadline has passed, participation in the seminar is mandatory. Students not handing in a thesis on time will be graded a 5.0.
- Please note that the maximum number of participants is 10 students.
- Additional information on how to write a seminar paper, how to search for literature, etc. will be provided in an introductory session.
- Grading: The overall grade will reflect the quality of the thesis (50%), the presentation in the seminar (30%), and the student’s contributions to the discussion following each of the presentations (20%).
- Question concerning the Public Economics 1 seminar in Summer Semester 2023 should be directed to: Sebastian Ach, M. Sc.
Seminar Public Economics 1 Course Description SS 2023
Guidelines for Searching Literature
Instructions for Writing a Seminar Thesis
Further information about this course can be found in the module handbook.